Electrical/Mechanical Technician (FMCG)
A world-class Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) company focused on leading the market through constant reinvestment, innovative manufacturing and consumer-oriented marketing strategies is seeking to employ the services of a qualified Electrical or Mechanical Technician to operate, maintain, repair and optimise plant and associated devices to ensure plant availability and product quality.
HIERARCHY OF COMMAND
The Shift Manager is on top, followed by the Team Leader and then the Electrical or Mechanical Technician.
Maintenance Controller, Maintenance Planner, Packaging Engineer, Asset Care Specialist, Mechanical Artisans, Electricians and Technicians, Team Leader
Suppliers, Contractors and Hub specialists.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Key Results Areas and Outcomes):
- Maintain a safe and healthy working environment: comply with safety, health and environmental procedures and legislation, maintain safety and housekeeping standards.
- Maintain, repair and optimize plant and associated devices: locate plant, equipment, spares and relevant documentation system, plan and prepare the job, carry out repairs or maintenance, continuously improve (optimize) plant, process equipment and systems.
- Operate process: Prepare for production, operate and monitor machine performance, startup machine, run the machines, perform brand and pack change, carry out machine lubrication and ensure cleaning of machines.
- Optimise production performance: Interpret and implement production plan for the shift, measure and record performance attributes, optimise usage of resources, support the team to improve process quality, facilitate team problem solving, monitor trends and initiate corrective action and perform running schedule.
- Works in teams: communicate effectively in teams and contribute to self and team development.
- Apply the manufacturing way principles and practices: Apply standards and practices in the workplace, work and communicate effectively in teams, operate and control the process according to SOP’s, conduct autonomous maintenance, manage quality at the source, improve personal competence and flexibility and ensuring that maintenance tools are in good working order.
- Apply problem-solving processes: Utilise short interval control to identify problems and apply problem-solving techniques to resolve situational problems.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND MEASURES:
KEY PERFORMANCE AREA
- Shift line efficiencies
- Trade quality
- IQMS parameters
- Packaging plant reliability
- Packaging systems reliability
- Asset management indicators
- Schedule completion rate
- Completed 5 why’s
Health, Safety and Environment
- Adherence to PPE policies
- Identification of unsafe practices
- Safe maintenance practices audited
- Maintenance tolls are in good working order
DECISION-MAKING POWERS AND AUTHORITY:
This person is authorised to:
- Maintain the equipment according to good maintenance practices.
- Assess proper functioning of working machinery and request for repairs or replacement in case of need.
- Assess nature of repair on working machine depending on nature of defect as quick fix, replacement or major overhaul.
- Negotiate stoppage of machines with team leaders to avoid more unnecessary downtime and equipment damages.
- Stop the machine if it appears to endanger safety and quality of the processes product. If the stoppage is longer than 60 minutes, the Process Artisan must inform the Team Leader of the problem.
- Operate the equipment according to the SOP’s and adhering to safe working practices at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping standards in the area of operation.
IDEAL PROFILE AND CONDITIONS:
- Qualified trade – tested artisan.
- Prior experience in Packaging/FMCG environment.
- Knowledge in KHS Combi Blower Filler, Road Feed Labeler and Shrink Wrapper
COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATION:
The ideal candidate must have an HND in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a minimum of Tech II with one to two years’ relevant experience as a Mechanical or Electrical Artisan. The candidate should also have undergone 2 to 6 months on the job training.
The role requires the candidate to work according to a 4 rotational shifts schedule (5 days in a week).
Job description is subject to revision in accordance with the dynamics.