The Pan–African Organization for Research and Protection on Women and Children (PAORP-VWC) has begun a childbirth registration exercise in five districts in the Northern Region.
The exercise estimated at GH¢30, 000 with funding support from Child Rights Africa of Germany, is expected to capture 500 children in Gushegu, Tolon, Kumbungu, Zabzugu, and Tatale-Sanguli Districts.
The PAORP-VWC will bear 60 percent of the registration cost per child whilst the community would take care of the remaining 40%.
Dr Peter Ndonwie, Executive Director of PAORP-VWC announced this at Kpugi, near Gushegu at the start of the childbirth registration exercise in the area.
He said the exercise would enrich the child's document, history, and pave the way for the child to aspire to a higher level of education in the future.
He said the documentation of a child's birth was critical and called on other NGOs and donors interested in the welfare of children to equally make it their priority, "If we want the child to achieve holistic education."
He called on the government to consider absorbing part of the cost of the amount involved in the acquisition of birth certificates to make it affordable for parents to access.
Madam Hazia Mariama Yakubu, on behalf of mothers of the beneficiaries, thanked the organization for the initiative, saying it would facilitate the identification of children in the area.
Mr Fusheini Yushawu, Gushegu Municipal Registration Officer commended PAORP- VWC for complementing the efforts of the government and indicated that women showed keen interest in registering their children and called on fathers and other men in the community to change their attitude, saying, children belonged to both husband and wife.
Ndikal Lana, Salifu Mahama, on behalf of the Kpugi Traditional Rulers, thanked the organization for coming to ease some of their challenges involved in registering children and expressed joy at the establishment of a radio station by PAORP-VWC in the area, which he noted would open up the area and create jobs for the jobless in the area.