The premises of the Electoral Commission's (EC) remained calm on Tuesday after the historic disqualification of 13 presidential aspirants from contesting the December 7 polls,
Just after the EC Chairperson, Mrs Charlotte Osei delivered the landmark verdict on Monday, October 10, the EC's premises was surrounded by heavy security forces to ward off any reprisal from supporters of aggrieved aspirants. However, a visit to the EC's headquarters in Accra by the Ghana News Agency (GNA) confirmed that all was peaceful and calm, with staff going about their normal duties.
Chief Superintendent Kwesi Ofori, the Adabraka District Police Commander, speaking to the GNA at the EC's headquarters, said the security forces were on top of their job. He said, so far there had been no disturbances at the premises of the EC. Mr Eric K. Dzakpasu, the EC Head of Communications told the GNA that officials of the Commission were on a mission to the Northern Region.
Some aggrieved disqualified presidential aspirants such as Madam Akua Donkor of the Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), Dr Nana Agyenim Boateng of the United Front Party and Mr Akwasi Addai Odike of the United People's Party (UPP) were at the Commission to meet with officials on the matter.
It would be recalled that the EC Chairperson in her verdict on the case of Mr Odike, explained that since there was intra-party wrangling over his candidature with a case pending before court, it was difficult for the Commission to accept his candidature. However, she gave him up to Friday, October 14, to resolve the problem and get back to the Commission for consideration.
Mr Odike speaking expressed surprise at the development, declaring that he was not aware of any injunction on the filing of his nomination papers until he heard it from the news on Monday. Mr Odike said, he was at the EC to meet Commissioners on the matter stating that he did not even know which of his party members filed the injunction.