Food Technologists Urgently Needed
Catering Manager Information
1) Applies scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, quality control, packaging, processing, and utilization of foods: Conducts basic research, and new product research and development of foods.
2) Develops new and improved methods and systems for food processing, production, quality control, packaging, and distribution.
3) Studies methods to improve quality of foods, such as flavour, colour, texture, nutritional value, convenience, or physical, chemical, and microbiological composition of foods.
4) Develops food standards, safety and sanitary regulations, and waste management and water supply specifications.
5) Tests new products in test kitchen and develops specific processing methods in laboratory pilot plant, and confers with process engineers, flavour experts, and packaging and marketing specialists to resolve problems.
6) May specialize in one phase of food technology, such as product development, quality control, or production inspection, technical writing, teaching, or consulting.
7) May specialize in particular branch of food technology, such as cereal grains, meat and poultry, fats and oils, seafood, animal foods, beverages, dairy products, flavors, sugars and starches, stabilizers, preservatives, colours, and nutritional additives, and be identified according to branch of food technology.
What you will do
Food technologists may do some or all of the following:
improve or develop new food and drinks
make test samples of food products and conduct trials
source and select ingredients for food products
manage or supervise development and production of food and drinks
improve efficiency of manufacturing processes
develop new food packaging or improve current packaging
ensure food products meet specifications and standards (quality assurance)
investigate the sensory and nutritional properties of foods.