Technical Sales Engineer
It Support Information
Sell Technical Products
Technical sales engineers spend a good portion of their day meeting with existing and potential customers, explaining product features, presenting and demonstrating new products, and determining which products meet the needs of each individual customer. They complete proposals, write up sales orders, prepare sales documents, and negotiate contract terms.
Provide Technical Support
One of the main responsibilities of a technical sales engineer is to provide post-sales support for customers. In this role, they discuss and troubleshoot any problems with a recently purchased product, make minor adjustments or repairs, and log issues to be discussed with the production team.
Manage Sales Territory
It is up to technical sales engineers to grow a sales territory. They create relationships with existing customers and make frequent visits to customer sites to ensure all products are working effectively. They also meet with potential customers to discuss new and upcoming products, and provide leadership to other sales members.
Attend Trade Exhibitions, Seminars, and Conferences
Technical sales engineers are typically the face of their company at trade shows, where they discuss products and product development with interested parties. They also attend training seminars and industry conferences to learn about industry trends and sales techniques, as well as network with other sales engineers.
Discuss Product Enhancements and New Product Development
Record any issues, note consistent problems, and offer ideas to enhance technical products. Technical sales engineers might also be called upon to offer suggestions during new product development.
- Computer skills – technical sales engineers should have a strong understanding of basic networking or systems administration and be able to explain and demonstrate them in a clear, concise manner.
- Sales skills – the ability to effectively close sales deals
- Communication – from demonstrating products to preparing sales reports, technical sales engineers must display strong verbal and written communication skills on a daily basis
- Listening skills – it takes strong listening skills for technical sales engineers to understand what products their customers need and to provide adequate technical support when discussing any issues with a specific product
- Interpersonal skills – having a friendly, outgoing personality and possessing the ability to work with people of various cultural and social backgrounds is a huge plus.
- Multitasking – Meeting new customers, closing deals, arranging meetings, gathering materials for a trade show, and addressing a technical issue with a recently sold product
- Problem solving –Must be solution-driven individuals with strong problem-solving skills