Head Of Department School Of Fashion & Design
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Head of Department at are senior members of the senior management team with a shared responsibility for co-developing (whenever required), promoting and achieving the goals set out in its Strategic Plan. HoDs head the departments within the Schools and work with the supervision of the Deans.
Within the Faculties/Schools, the HoDs provide academic and administrative leadership, to encourage excellence in teaching and research and to promote the development of the Faculty members and the Departments and of its staff and to manage its activities through the most effective and cost-efficient use of its resources, within the framework of the Ghana Strategic Plan and policies.
Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) of the HoD
(i) Providing operational leadership in the Department and supporting the Dean in the strategic leadership.
- Supporting the Rector in consultation with the faculty members, the HoD and other senior members of the School’s long-term academic and management plans and policies, incorporating a coherent set of objectives for teaching and research.
- managing human resource strategy for the Department which involves training and development as well as career development of staff with the supervision of the Rector.
- fostering and facilitating a supportive environment and ensuring that the department explores new markets and responds to them.
- working with other members of the senior management team and various committees to co-develop, review and promote Strategic and Operational Plans.
(ii) Supporting the Rector in shaping and be responsible for controlling the School/Departmental budget within the funding constraints set during the budget-setting cycle, including:
- operationalizing the agreed targets for income and expenditure with the Director of Finance and Rector/President/Executive team.
(iii) Managing and developing the staff including:
- recruiting and selecting staff within policy guidelines, participate in the promotion, termination or hiring full-time/part-time employees for the School.
- career development in accordance with institutional policies and procedures.
(iv) Supporting Faculty Officers and holding them accountable for the proper discharge of their departmental responsibilities.
(vi) Promoting the department externally and ensuring development and management of a high quality brand image and positioning of the department by planning and implementing activities in consultation with the senior management and relevant departments.
(ix) Facilitating department-level alumni and development activities in conjunction with the relevant departments and personnel.
HoD will be expected to pursue actively their own personal and professional development, in
consultation with the Rector.
Formal Education and Certification
- The candidate must have an MPhil or MSc in Fashion Design from an accredited institution.
- He / She must have worked as a Senior Lecturer for at least five (5) years.
- Must have at least 6 publications from refereed journals.
Competencies Required (Skills & Abilities)
- Effective organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related information and materials
- Ability to communicate and interact with individuals at all levels of the institution
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Familiar with basic networking and communication protocols
- Ability to embrace diversity and inclusion and perform in a multicultural community college setting