Senior Lecturer – Department Of Mass Communication & Journal
To ensure the efficient and effective delivery of teaching programmes in accordance with University strategy, policy and procedures, undertake research activity and engage in enterprise activity, influencing leading edge practice.
Learning and teaching
- Responsible for managing taught programmes, including oversight of day to day operational processes (e.g. timetabling, assessment, examination systems) and programme accreditation processes.
- Ensure that programme design and delivery comply with the quality standards and regulations of the University.
- Contribute to the development of academic processes across the institution.
- Contribute to the development of learning and teaching strategies.
- Teach a range of materials.
- Develop and apply innovative and appropriate teaching techniques and material which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students.
- Oversee the monitoring of student progress and provide advice and guidance to personal tutors and students as appropriate
Research and knowledge transfer
- Develop and maintain a network of research and knowledge transfer related contacts, in the University and the wider specialist community
- Be committed to ensuring that research has impact beyond academia
- Continually update own knowledge in the field of specialization
- Supervise students in their respective academic project work
- Lead learning and teaching activities in a particular area as agreed.
- Contribute to the administration of the academic programme, by supporting student recruitment, induction etc.
- Advise and coach colleagues
- Undertake other activities, as required
Managing people and resources
- Provide academic leadership to those working within programme areas, for example by agreeing work plans to ensure that programmes are delivered effectively or organizing the work of a team by agreeing objectives and work plans.
- Contribute to the development of teams and individuals through the individual performance review process and providing advice on personal development.
- Contribute to the overall management of the School / Faculty in areas such as resource management, business and programme planning. Undertake line management responsibilities as required.
- Be responsible for setting standards and monitoring progress against agreed criteria for area of responsibility.
- Be involved in School / Faculty level strategic planning and contribute to the University’s strategic planning process.
- Plan and deliver consultancy or similar programmes and ensure that resources are available.
Formal Education and Certification
- The candidate must have an MPhil or MSc in Mass Communication /PR/Journalism from an accredited institution.
- He / She must have worked as a Senior Lecturer for at least five (5) years.
- Must have at least 6 publications from refereed journals.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Appropriate academic qualifications at postgraduate level (normally a doctorate or equivalent)
- Evidence of research performance and research outputs of international standard
- Ability to deliver high quality teaching
- Understanding and proven experience of research methods and processes
- Understanding of good professional practice in learning and teaching