Operations Technician Information
1 - 3 Years
Higher National Diploma
HND Purchasing and Supply OR ANY OTHER QUALIFICATION SUITABLE FOR THIS ROLE.
- An Import Clerk will work for a freight forwarder/agent or directly for an importer who is based in the country where goods are being delivered.
- As an Import Clerk, you will be part of a team of people who are responsible for the movement of goods from another country, ensuring the transit and delivery is made on time. This means that you will liaise regularly with overseas offices, partners or agents.
- You will be responsible for arranging and completing all associated paperwork, which documents the nature of the goods being imported from abroad and that they are legal and legitimate.
- Imports are generally subject to import quotas, tariffs, trade agreements, and Ghana's Revenue and Customs regulations, so as an Import Clerk, your role will involve checking all is in order in this respect.
- Import Clerks are responsible for costing jobs and ensuring maximum profitability for their organization.
- Depending on the size of the organization, an Import Clerk may be required to check goods in as they arrive against paperwork to ensure all goods ordered are accounted for.
- An Import Clerk job requires establishing contacts and relationships with Customs to ensure efficient transfer of goods through the legal process.
- The role of Import Clerk involves being able to manage deadlines and some times difficult situations, therefore an element of negotiation is required in order to be able to meet timescales.