About 100 structures along the beaches behind the Black Star Square were on Thursday demolished to pave the way for the Marine Drive Project.
President Nana Akufo-Addo last year cut sod for the construction of the US$1.2 billion Marine Drive Tourism and Investment project in Accra.
The marine drive project is expected to employ about 150,000 people, particularly those within the project catchment area.
The project, which was expected to begin in June this year, has been delayed due to the slow evacuation of some facilities belonging to some Ministries, Departments and Agencies situated on the land earmarked for the project.
Speaking on Accra-based Citi FM on Thursday, July 18, this year, the Project Coordinator for the project, Mr Fredrick Frimpong, said there were plans to compensate the affected squatters on the project site.
He said they have a special arrangement as part of the implementation process for the victims and that the victims would be moved to a safer place.
He explained that the project site needed to be cleared for the contractor to commence his work, saying “We are supposed to get the place cleared so that the contractors can clear and then pick up the levels.”
According to Mr Frimpong, one of their initial challenges was that they did not have the approval of the land use and special planning authority from the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA).
He, however, said the project has successfully secured the approval from the Lands Commission.