In an open letter to President Akufo-Addo, the Group Chairman of Eurostar Limousine Limited says the measures, if implemented well, would cushion the populace and reduce “the anxiety, panic and excessive stress Ghanaians are going through currently.”He lists, among other demands, six steps he says government must initiate in this regard:
- The suspension of all electricity bills payment to all households across Ghana for 90 days.
- The suspension of water bills payment for all households across Ghana for 90 days. Government should also sponsor water tankers to supply water to the most vulnerable communities across Ghana on a daily basis or at least thrice weekly.
- Halve all utility bills (Water & Electricity) to all businesses across Ghana for 90 days.
- Issue GH¢1,000 in cash or direct transfer payment to all Public Sector workers across Ghana, as well as guarantee full salary payment to all Public Sector workers for 90 days.
- Inject direct financial support to all districts, metropolitan & municipal assemblies relative to their sizes.
- Provide direct extra cash allowance to all frontline workers battling the Coronavirus (Covid-19) and take care of medical bills and feeding of Ghanaians who catch the virus.
Similarly, Oscar Doe says another critical area needing attention is pensions, where he urges the Director General of the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), Dr. John Ofori-Tenkorang to seek immediate approval from the Presidency, through the Ministry of Finance to protect Ghanaian pensioners.
In this wise, he wants SSNIT to issue direct cash or direct transfers of between GH¢1,000 up to GH¢2,000 based on salary grades as a Special Emergency Package to cushion pensioners across Ghana for 90 days.