Egypt has said it will temporarily suspend its participation in the UN peacekeeping force in Mali starting on Monday over concerns about the security of its troops.
The move follows the killing of seven Egyptian troops serving under the UN mission in Mali (Minusma) in attacks since January.
The decision also comes as activists backing Mali’s military-led government continue to demand Minusma’s expulsion over its perceived failure to protect civilians from attacks.
Egypt's mission to the UN in New York said last month that the Egyptian contingent of Minusma would be temporarily withdrawn but did not indicate how long the suspension would last.
Egypt has about 1,000 soldiers in Minusma, mainly providing logistical support.