Another new feature is voice isolation for cellular calls that will prioritize your voice and block out ambient noise around you. This will make for clearer phone calls, as you’ll be able to hear the voice of the person speaking and not whatever is taking place in the background — like other people talking or noises from their environment. The feature had already been available for FaceTime calls and other VoIP apps, but not for cellular (until now).
To enable the feature, you’ll need to open the Control Center while on the call, tap on Mic Mode, then choose Voice Isolation from the list.
Web push notifications
Last year at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), Apple had shown a feature that allowed developers to send web-based push notifications to end users. The company rolled out this feature for Safari 16.1 with an update to macOS Ventura. Now, it’s letting iOS developers send a notification to users (after seeking permission), when the user has pinned a web app to their Home Screen. This feature could be immediately useful to some of the new Twitter rivals like Post and T2 that haven’t yet built out native iOS versions of their apps but still want to alert users to important conversations.
But it also provides a way for Apple to counteract claims that its App Store is the only way to reach mobile consumers, which could help it fight off antitrust regulations and other lawsuits.
The update release notes also reference a few other tweaks and fixes, including the following:
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- The keyboard now supports indigenous languages like Chickasaw and Choctaw. Plus, Apple has added support for transliteration for Gujarati, Punjabi, and Urdu keyboards.
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent’s device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
- Security fixes for Safari 16.4